3M FC is an innovative 3-dimensional structure based on Polypropylene (Spunbond PP) for multiple use in the horticulture, landscape gardening and infrastructure construction and soil stabilization areas.
3M uses proprietary new technology in order to convert thewell-known Spunbond PP geotextile and other non-woven materials from the sheet stock form into three dimensional honeycomb-like structures. Possible uses include soil drainage, soil stabilization , soil protection, erosion control and foundations’ stabilization.
Examples for the use of 3M FC
• Soil drainage and soil stabilization
• Reinforcement of slopes, embankments and channel liners
• Foundations for private parking areas and access roads, for temporary
roads and for the stabilization of road sides.
• Drainage of basement walls
• Foundations for sports fields applications, landfills, etc.
3M FC Spunbond PP and 3M FC filled
with sand and gravel
Features and benefits of 3M FC
• Easy handling and implementation
• Light weight
• Water permeability of cell walls
• Conformity to terrain and subsoil requirements
• Nonwoven basis for proven durability in sandy soil
• Minimizes requirement for expensive base materials
• Thermal bonds for maximum stability and strength
• Shipment of compressed cells for simple, compact and inexpensive transport
Simple, space saving and inexpensive shipment of unexpanded Spunbond PP nonwoven honeycombs.
Possible use in road construction field and for ground stabilization purposes.
Heavy subsidence without ground stabilization and reinforcement of subsoil .
Light subsidence with ground stabilization and reinforcement of subsoil.
Tests have been conducted that have supported tandem axle trucks of 23 tons/230kN weight for 10 000 passes over honeycombs filled with sandy soil or gravel with only slight rutting. Without the foundation of this system the same trucks become bogged down in deep ruts after only 10 passes (source:Robert Koerner, Geosynthetics, 4th edition)
The following chart illustrates just how effective the use of 3M FC with a
sandy soil can be compared to conventional, thicker and more expensive load bearing fill:
|Use of conventional , heavy and expensive load bearing fill:||Comparable results of 3M FC 50 mm honeycombs filled with sandy soil (SC=.35)||Comparable results of 3M FC 100 mm honeycombs filled with sandy soil (SC=.35)|
|Sandy Soil (SC=.07)||10 inces/25.4 cm sandy soil||20 inches/50,8 cm sandy soil|
|Sandy Gravel (SC=.11)||6.4 inches/16.26 cm sandy gravel||12.75 inches/32,39 cm sandy gravel|
|Small Stones (SC=.41)||5 inches/12,70 cm of small stones||10 inches/25,40 cm of small stones|
|Concrete (SC=.41)||1.70 inches/4,32 cm of concrete||3.5 inches/8,89 cm of concrete|
Click on a picture to